Saturday, January 3, 2009

Angkor Part II

Tuesday December 16th

We left Angkor and had our driver take us to the next complex called Banyon. This one is know for all of the huge faces that adorn the temple. We saw our first monkeys along the road to Banyon. Never seen wild monkey's before. These temples all reminded me of something from the Disney movie The Jungle Book.


I'm trying to give you a sense of how big these structures are. In this pic Jack is about 1/3 of the way up the temple.Our last stop of the day was to a place called Ta Prohm. Unlike the other sites this place is a total ruin. Hardly any of it has been rebuilt. It is know for the trees that have grown up all around the structure. They filled part of the Angelina Jolie film Laura Kroft Tomb Raider here. I kept looking for her but could not find her. It was really pretty cool. Unfortunately the kids were hitting a wall. It was hot. Anna fell asleep and Jack complained. Anyway I liked it!!





As we walked out of the temple you had to go through the jungle. The noise from the bugs was deafening. Take a listen.



This picture basically sums up how Jack felt at this point. I think it was time to get out of the heat and back to the hotel for a late lunch. Tomorrow we will rise early to watch the sunrise at Angkor Wat and then go see one more lesser known complex.


No comments: