Thursday, January 8, 2009

Angkor at Sunrise

This morning we were up at 5:30am kids and all to head to Angkor to watch the sunrise. This is a fairly popular thing to do. We figured there would be a handful of people there. Boy were we wrong. There were hundreds of people there by the time we arrived and we thought we were early. Here is a picture of everyone waiting to get that perfect shot.
Unfortunately it never really came. The sunrise was a bit obscured by clouds. This was the best I could do.



At one point I was taking pictures and I noticed people looking my way and taking pictures. I was quite flattered yet not surprised as I often get confused for Tom Cruise. I heard a scraping noise behind me and turned to see a whole pack of monkey's walking along the wall about 10 feet behind me. They are know to be nasty so I slowly backed up and then took some shots. Stupid monkey ended up mooning me.


After we left Angkor for the last time we headed to a temple that we saw as we drove from one site to another the day before. It stuck out to us because it was empty. No tourists. And it was big. We all wanted to climb to the top. So off we went. One thing I forgot. I am afraid of heights. I made it up about 13 of these super narrow steps and then froze. I didn't think I was going to get back down. I finally did and then had to endure taunts from Marie's brother and Dad as they made it to the top with ease. The straw that broke the camel's back was when Sarah went shooting up to the top. Jack and I had no choice but to follow. So without looking down we made it to the top. That was the easy part coming down would be difficult. When I say I am afraid of heights I am not exagerating. I am scared to death. Here I am at the top of 13 steps being a wuss boy. You tell by my posture that I am petrified. Here were are at the top. Jack on the way left. Me peeking over the middle and Sarah on the right. I was too freaked out to let them go to the windows near the edge. This temple was very cool.
While at Ta Keo Temple Anna met up with three little Cambodian girls. They were so cute. Their mother looked after the Buddha at the temple. They really hit it off.
We spent the afternoon messing around town and going for a swim. All in all Cambodia was everything I had hoped it would be. I would highly recommend Siem Reap. Now we are off to Singapore for two nights before heading back to Saudi.

No comments: