Friday, January 16, 2009

Winter Solstice

I attempt to go for a jog every morning or every other morning. I usually get up around 5:45 and then run along the beach for 30 minutes or more. I have done morning runs for a long time. I like getting it behind me for the day. That being said I have seen some really cool things running early in the morning. When we lived in Wyncote I would get up and run on the Cheltenham High School track. There was this huge red tail hawk that would sit on the fence just a few feet from me and watch me run around. One morning on that same track I was literally stopped dead in my tracks as the Leonid meteor shower took place above me. It was amazing. Of course a run on the beach of the Outer Banks of North Carolina or running at sunrise on the path along the Wissahickon Creek is equally as cool. Here is an old picture of the covered bridge back the crick as we locals call it.
Here I have the sunsets over the gulf. Dec. 21st is the shortest day of the year. The sun rises here closest to the shore line. In the summer the sun rise is directly out over the water. I am usually stretching after my run when the sun comes up. On the 21st I was treated to an exceptionally clear morning. There is usually a haze and you won't see the sun until it has actually been up for a few minutes. I could tell this was going to be a good one so I ran the short distance home and grabbed my camera. I am glad I did. You can see the super tankers loading up with Saudi oil in a couple of the pics. Enjoy the sunrise.



No comments: