After a 6 hour flight we arrived in Bangkok at noon. We were traveling with our good friends Eric, Reina and their little one Claudia. We all got a cab to our hotel together. We were all pretty tired and the weather was HOT. This is the hottest time of the year in Thailand. Temps were in the upper 90's and very humid. This was not a big deal to us as we are now quite use to this.
The Hotel - To keep it short and sweet we stayed at The Shangri-la. It was reeeeeeally nice. Check out the web site. As The Nile is to Cairo the Chao Phyara is to Bangkok. The hotel was right on the river. Lots of cool boats to look at and a great way to get around the city was to hop a long tail boat and zip up river. These boats are pretty cool in that they are powered by car engines that are loaded onto the back of the boat - radiator and all. They can really move. This is a picture of Marie and the kids enjoying a ride.
The Food: Marie is a huge fan of Thai food. She has therefore converted me into a Thai food nut. So as far are we were concerned this was a pilgrimage. Yes I was here for a conference but this was all about the food and drink. So let's get started. I will start with Bangkok itself. It is big, dirty, crowded, pollution ridden, loud, and very much alive. I loved it. As you walked down the street your senses are just bombarded by the sights and smells. There are street vendors everywhere selling all sorts of crazy foods. On our first afternoon we went out exploring and picked up some pork dumplings and fried banana. They were great. It seemed that every few feet there was a new food vendor selling something different. Here is a "taste" of our first stroll through Bangkok.
Upon finishing our meal on the street we decided it would be a good time to sit down and eat again. Let's face it this was a pilgrimage and who am I to disappoint the food gods. We found this place right near the Shangri-la (on a side note there was this guy on the plane who seemed well traveled and wanted everyone to know it by talking loudly about what you should see and not see in Bangkok. He kept referring to the hotel as the Shangriluh pronounced like tequila. I am a professional eaves dropper and I was ready to smack him. I wanted to jump up on the plane and scream "IT'S SHANGRI-LA LIKE LA DEE DAH YOU PUTZ!! But I didn't.) Anywho, we found a street vendor near the hotel that had the best food of the entire trip. To start off with the beer was cold. Singha - the national beer of Thailand. Mmmmmm beer. I drank a lot of it. The food at this place was amazing. I had this coconut chicken soup that was one of the best things I had ever eaten. Sarah agreed. Here is the soup and Sarah and I eating it.
In the end it seems that all we did was eat and drink. We went accross the river one night with Eric and Reina and had a wonderful Thai meal in a locals only type place. Very cool. I think the most enjoyable meal we ate was at the Shangri-la on our last night. The hotel had a beautiful Thai restaurant right on the river. The meal was delicious and the atmosphere was incredible. A traditional Thai style teakwood house. Live Thai music and authentic Thai dancing. The kids loved it and it was the perfect end to our journey. Here are some pics.
Dumplings, fried banana, coconut soup, pad thai, prawns, deep fried something I am still not sure of what it was, green curry, red curry and fruit of every shape, color and size. The food kicked gludious maximus.
The Tourist Thing: I spent 3 of the 5 days in Bangkok sitting through conference sessions. Marie and the kids on the other had struck out for many an exotic local in Bangkok. On our first day in Bangkok we headed out to the Grand Palace. This is a compound that houses the most sacred Buddha in all Thailand: the Emerald Buddha, as well as the royal palace from years past. The Buddist decor is over the top and very cool. Here are some pics.
The Tourist Thing: I spent 3 of the 5 days in Bangkok sitting through conference sessions. Marie and the kids on the other had struck out for many an exotic local in Bangkok. On our first day in Bangkok we headed out to the Grand Palace. This is a compound that houses the most sacred Buddha in all Thailand: the Emerald Buddha, as well as the royal palace from years past. The Buddist decor is over the top and very cool. Here are some pics.
Marie is all about shopping and spent the next two days at the Chatuchak market. They only have this market on weekends. It is Rice's Market on crack. Marie went with Reina and the little ones one morning and took the big kids back on the next. The kids loved it. Sarah and Jack love to shop. (BTW - my camera battery died on the third day so I have no pics of the market. The above link does though. So enjoy that guys shots.) Anything you could possibly want you can find there - and the prices are awesome!
The following day I had the afternoon free so we took a long tail boat up the river to see The Temple of the Rising Sun and The Temple of the Reclining Buddha (aka Wat Phun and Wat Pho - I know there is a joke in there somewhere it just isn't coming to me right now.) When we got off the boat we took the below picture of the kids. The Thai people are always trying to make a buck (or a baht). I suspected that that was the case here as well. No sooner had I taken the shot (with a disposable camera) then some guy comes running
In the end it was a great trip. I am so glad we were able to take the kids with us. I think they liked it more then we did. Now it is back to Saudi for parent visit number 2. Man, time is flying. We will be back stateside for summer repat before you know it. Mmmmm cheesesteaks.

No comments:
Post a Comment