Before the Aramco truck could pull out of the driveway the shipping company trucks started to pull up. In the end there were four short trucks and one trailor truck. Of course in true Saudi style one of the trucks was held up at a police checkpoint outside the gate and I had to go and schmooze the local police officer to let the truck through. Over the past months I have gotten pretty good at this and I had the truck through in no time. This is when things really got interesting. You see, in our move to Saudi we downsized a bit. We are living in a townhouse here in Saudi. There is quite a bit less space then we had at our palatial mansion in Collegeville. As the 16 crates arrived and were opened Marie and I quickly had that "oh crap" realization that we were going to have trouble fitting all this into the house.
In the end it was a long day but we had our stuff. It's like your birthday and Christmas all wrapped in one. And everything made it through customs. Even our Christmas tree, which the Saudi customs officials are notorious for confiscating due to the Christian nature of the holiday, made it through. If you know Marie you know that a mere six days removed from the day it all arrived our house has officially become our home. There is still a lot of work to do but she has made a huge dent in making the house comfortable. We have slept in our beds for the first time in three months. Our couch is as comfy here as it was in the states. It is going to take some time to unload all the boxes and arrange and rearrange things to make everything fit but boy does it feel good to have all our stuff again. We have all our stuff again!!!

2 comments:
Congratz on your delivery!! It's both a relief and overwhelming at the same time. As I unpacked ours, I kept asking myself why in the world I actually bothered packing half this junk! Second question, what am I going to DO with all this?? LOL
Glad your new home is now officially "home"!
Laura
Congrats Steve and Marie! I am so happy that you received all your stuff and that you are doing well! I have been reading your blogs but finally signed up so I could post comments! Happy Holidays! Love, Cousin Lauren
PS-I am jealous of your weather/tans right now! :)
Post a Comment