Friday, March 13, 2009

The Bucket List

There was a movie that came out last year staring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nickolson. It was called The Bucket List. Nicholson and Freeman play two cancer patients who only have a year to live. They both decide to make a "Bucket List", a list of events they never accomplished in their lives to be completed before they "kick the bucket". This list ranged from kissing the prettiest lady in the world to patching up the problems with their family. A pretty cool concept. I have one as well. Learning to sail is on the list. Skiing the Alps. Visiting the pyramids. Belting out a tune to a packed house of people was definitely on the list. This week I got to check off another biggy. For the first time in my life (and probably the last) I got to perform in a play. Yep. Got up on stage four days in a row and acted in the play West Side Story. I have never liked muscials. I hate going to the theatre. I would rather be playing golf or skiing or sailing. However there are times when you have to say to yourself "you only live once", suck it up and go.


So the drama/music teacher asked if I would help out with the school production. He told me it was a walk on role. I agreed. Then a bunch of weeks later he drops a script in front of me and tells me that he needs me to take on a bigger part. My biggest problem anymore is I don't know how to say no. So here I am. Standing on stage in front of a packed house (that included the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent of our Schools - My in laws, sister in laws and my wife and kids - not to mention kids I teach and their parents) playing the part of Lt. Shrank. Basically a New York cop who is pissed off at the world and takes it out on the gangs in the neighborhood. It was a blast. I approached the role as Frank Sinatra meets Ralph Cramdon. Very stressful but in the end very worth it. Here are some pics and a video clip. Now get out there and do something different!!



No comments: