Day 6:
Took Mom & Dad into Khobar, showed them some souks, had dinner at the Thai House (of course!) and then took them to Desert Design. This store is awesome. This store is filled with Arab trinkets and furniture. Mom & Dad loved it. I would say it's the most popular store with Expats here. They say you aren't an Aramcon unless you have something from Desert Design in your house. As you can imagine, my mom bought so much stuff from there that when they built their new location/show room, my sister joked with the owner that my mom probably paid for one wall - sadly, the owner agreed! :)
This is us at the Thai House in Khobar:
Day 7:
I had chartered a bus for my Mom & Tots group to go into Khobar to the Rashid Mall. It's a huge mall (comparable to KOP, except it has 3 stories!) that has an amusement section for children to go on rides. So, Mom & Dad accompanied Anna & I along w/ some other Moms and little ones to the mall in the morning. It was nice to get out and neat for Mom & Dad to see the big mall - not what you expect in the middle of the desert. This Wednesday night, the teacher's had their monthly potluck dinner at Jack's teacher's house, so it was nice for us grown ups to get out for a little bit sans children and mingle with Steve's co-workers. By the end of the night, Steve was strumming a guitar singing Jimmy Buffett - thank goodness they didn't have a microphone - he'd still be there!
This pix is of Mom & Dad in front of the Persian Grill spot that we ate lunch at in the Rashid Mall - it was delish!
Here is Steve Buffett himself:
Day 8:
This was one of those days that's so familiar to families with multiple children in multiple activities - Jack had his last soccer game of the season with a bbq and Sarah had her first swim meet of the season. So, we split up. Dad came with Sarah & I on the bus to Dhahran for the swim meet and Mom stayed back with Steve, Jack & Anna. After Jack's game, they all came down to Dhahran. We met for lunch at the golf shack in Dhahran. Dad enjoyed seeing the "new" grass course. Cheri then toured them around Dhahran for a little while, Dad got a massage and then we went to the Tandoori House for dinner before heading back home. It was a long day, but a good day. I know the kids really enjoy having their grandparents here!
Sarah & Dad at her meet:
Day 9:
This was a relaxing day - we went to the dining hall for breakfast, Dad & Steve went golfing and then we were all invited to the principal's house for dinner. They made bbq chicken, scalloped potatoes, baked beans and I brought a salad - I think Jack had 3 helpings! The principal joked that Jack was going to turn into a chicken:) It was very brave of them to invite us as both of their girls are in their 20's, so it's been a while since they've had a 2 yr. old loose in their house. But I must say, they were so laid back and accomodating - the perfect hosts!
Steve teeing off:
Day 12:

Day 10:
Mom & Dad took a walk to the Carlton Lounge for coffee in the morning (nothing new here:) and then went to the beach for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I made chicken enchiladas for dinner then took off for yoga class. Once again when I returned, everything was ready to go and dinner was on the table - yes!
Day 11:
Mom & Dad took Anna to the playground while I went to a meeting for Moms & Tots in the morning. At night, it was "Boys Night Out". The guys went to Khobar for the night for dinner and some shopping (shoes, sunglasses, etc.) So I did what I always do when Steve isn't home for dinner - cook shrimp! :) I made this yummy shrimp spaghetti recipe that I found in the Paula Deen magazine Mom brought over. It was yummylicious! Afterward dinner, us girls went to the Carlton Lounge for dessert.
This pix is of the "boys" during dinner on their night out:
Mom, Dad, Anna & I went to the Golf Shack for breakfast and then swung by the duck pond on the way home. Mom & Dad bowled in the afternoon while Anna refused to take her nap - rats! She finally went to sleep an 2 1/2 hours after she was supposed to! Steve took Mom & Dad to Rahima for some shopping before dinner and then took Sarah & I in after dinner to get my curtains made.
Mom & her fabulous bowling form:

No comments:
Post a Comment