Monday, January 28, 2008

Soccer rules!!

Here in the Middle East as in most of the world soccor is life. They play it everywhere, all the time. Make shift fields are set up all over the place. You can be driving down the highway and out in the desert you will see some beat up nets and a "field" marked out in old tires. Inside the community where we live you will find kids playing soccer on the fields at all times of the day and night. It is amazing to see.

As I have said in previous blogs this community is growing at a massive rate. The organized soccer program had fallen into disarray over the past few years because of the lack of players. Now it is thriving again. They needed volunteers to help so I signed up to be an assistant coach. As most Dad's will attest when you sign up to help in a minor role you will always get hit up to do more. So I am now the Divsion 4 Coordinator and Head Coach of the Division 4 Barcelona Team (which Jack plays on). This is all well and good except for the fact that I played soccer for one year when I was like 8 years old. I know NOTHING about soccer other then you need to kick the ball in the goal. I have learned a lot over the past couple of months and Jack is doing pretty well. He is very tall for his age (tallest in his class) and has been playing for a couple of years so he is playing in a division higher then most other kids in his class. He scored his first goal of the season this past weekend. The best part is that the field we play and practice on is right on the water. It is really nice. As always we have to include a picture of Anna who loves getting out and watch the games.

No comments: